Sunday, April 8, 2007

Turning into an Obsession



This ad isn’t selling, but it is telling a message through words. It copies the name of a perfume/cologne and uses it as its other meaning, Obsession. Instead of Obsession the fragrance, it’s actually obsession, meaning mania. The illustration shows a picture of a women’s body leaning over a toilet bowl and holding on to her stomach. Her back is faced to us, the audience. Through the black and sepia color scheme; the audience can see the bones in her back, indicating that she is too skinny. The women holding her body shows me that she is self conscious about her body and that she is in a lot of pain. The cause and effect of this ad is pointing out that there is too much pressure on women to have the nicest bodies and that bulimia has become an obsession for women. This appeals women trying to maintain that super model body. This parody uses the original ad by showing that the Ck Obsession models are really skinny and that their ads are setting a bad example for females to look exactly like the models on their ads. I think this ad is trying to get across, that this is the result and influence of the Ck ads on women. This ad is not cultural commentary because I don’t think the intended audience is one group of people, but this is to everyone, because women everywhere are conforming to bulimia. As a broader message I think this ad is saying don’t be forced to do this to oneself, because it’s not worth it. It will turn into an obsession.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The ad is less daring and more on the obvious side, but I do like what it is trying to tell people. It has the potential to piss a lot of people off, too. Nice blog.
XOXO
Shelby & Matt
http://www.ShelbyStidham.com
http://www.HollywoodHeadache.com

jacky martinez said...

Wow! I never percieved this add as you did. I didn't even notice the bones or the toilet bowl until I read your blog. I agree with your point of view. The woman on this add is obssesed with her body. I think that Obesession is trying to send a message of awareness to the public of eating disorders. I never thought that some brand company would actually worry about real life issues when trying to sell their product, because most company's like this one worry about the sex appeal a million times more. It's by far my favorite add because there is actual meaning behind it.