Sunday, April 22, 2007

Dinner and a Hitchiker- Freewrite


My friend had gone to Detroit earlier in the week and finally he was back. I had arranged over the phone that a friend and I would pick him up from the airport. It was about nine p.m. when we picked him up from passenger-pick up and we were all hungry. Denny’s was the pick of the night. As we walked in through the entrance door we passed a man smoking. We exchanged sincere smiles to be nice. The hostess in front greeted and seated us near the bar. We ordered our food after a long time of contemplating over the menu. While we were talking and waiting for our food, the man we saw on our way in came back in and sat by the bar. Our food took a while because we ordered a lot and it took us a while to eat. It seemed like hours, but it wasn’t that long because we were done around eleven. The man was still there. We paid our tab and my friends and I got up to leave. As we walked out the man stopped us and asked if were heading toward Evergreen and he said he would pay us ten bucks if we could give him a ride. I never have the heart to say no, so I thought for a couple minutes and said okay. After all, if anything happened my friends could restrain him long enough so I could call the cops. The ride took us a long half an hour. The friend that came back from Detroit drove while my other friend sat in back with the Hitchhiker. I got to sit shotgun. The whole ride there I kept on asking him a million questions to make sure he wasn’t some psycho serial killer. It looked like he was taking us somewhere deserted. I never knew Evergreen was so far. I think the man knew I was testing him so he kept on telling us the speed limit ahead and the stores that were around. We realized what he said was true because everything was right. When we dropped him off we saw that he lived in a huge house. I guess it was coincidence that all the household cars broke down at the same time. My friend that had to sit in back with the Hitchhiker said I was messed up for making him sit in back with him. I responded by saying he was the biggest. He said that I would let him die first. It was a funny, nerve wrecking and interesting night. We made a joke out of it after we all knew we were safe. Now we look back and say we probably shouldn’t pick up a hitchhiker again. We were lucky.

No comments: