Sunday, February 4, 2007

Observing at DC10

I’ve been asked to do coat check at DC10 once and only have done it once. Coat check is when I work as a person and give you a number for your coat and you can come back at the end of the night give me the number and redeem your coat. The way that I’ve been connected to this job opportunity is through the manager of DC10. I know the manager from my older sister, who is really close friends with him. Sometimes they need a fill in and since I need the extra money I accepted it, with the thought that I could also do my observational essay on this. There is a huge opportunity to observe a variety of different people. These people are drunk, sober, happy, angry, sad, and even sick (They are any emotion that you could possibly think of).
I’m glad to tell you, my audience, or classmates in Mr. Ware’s English class about my experiences doing coat check at DC10. I hope my audience finds my observations interesting and funny, and hopefully no one gets offended about my opinion on people that I observe because this would clearly be my opinion, and I am not trying to disrespect or offend anyone. If I put myself in the shoes of my audience I would want a lot of information. I would ask: how did you get the job, what is coat check, do you get tips, how do you get paid, is it fun, what are your coworkers like, what if someone loses their coat check number, etc?.
Researching the subject is interesting to me because when I go to the clubs I’m what you would call a “wall flower,” who stands near the wall and rarely makes my way to the dance floor to dance. So clubs and bars are not really my thing, but I love observing others and my surroundings. Observing this subject is also an advantage because I could kill two birds with one stone, working and doing school work at the same time. I’m expecting to find out what it is like to cater to people who are intoxicated and watch people mingling together; like the saying, “Denver is the best place for singles”. I also hope to make a lot of tips when I work. That’s why I hope everyone gets drunk so they don’t realize what bill they are putting into the tip jar.
Also working coat check, I can also observe the whole bar/lounge. I can see what it looks like interior and exterior. Since I’ve been there once I can tell you why it’s called DC 10. DC 10 is a type of airplane model. The inside is supposed to resemble the inside of a plane; I think they did a great job with it.
I’ve been asked to work once a week so I think that will set a properly timed so called, “interviews” for this observational essay. This is going to be a great subject to observe and I hope I’m going to find so great observations.

No comments: